REGENERATION: The Future of Community in a Permacrisis World
by Christian Sarkar, Philip Kotler, Enrico Foglia
IDEA BITE PRESS, May 2023
Extinction or REGENERATION?
There is no other way.
For forty years the institutions of the world have worked to “mitigate” climate change with no results – or worse – failure to stop the rapid destruction of the ecosystems which keep us all alive. Leaders and businesses have largely ignored the cries of our dying planet. A desperate scientific community has taken up arms to spread the word, but the media is deaf, and worse. Our politicians ignore the future for their own selfish interests.
How can we protect Nature and build a future based on the Common Good?
Where to begin? Is collapse inevitable?
Can business be regenerative? What does the road look like beyond sustainability? What examples are available for us to learn from?
Community regeneration offers a path to renewal beginning with you – your friends, and the community around you. This books an exploration of the topic – with deep dives into various methods and tactics that have worked in different communities.
In this book, we begin to explore the following:
- One, understand the various definitions for regeneration and understand why regeneration means regenerating the Common Good. What will it take to make the Big Shift to regeneration?
- Second, how do we regenerate a community? Place-based regeneration is a critical capability we need now.
- Third, what is a regenerative organization? How can a business become responsive to the needs of the community, society, and nature?
- Fourth, what does regenerative leadership look like? Can politics be regenerative?
- Fifth – what is regenerative innovation?
- Sixth – can our economy ever become regenerative? What will that take?
- Finally, we look at the lessons from Palermo. What can we do in our neighborhoods? What is the role of the local entrepreneur in building community wealth? We highlight a number of organizations we found during our regenerative project in Palermo.
Written as a follow-up to their book on Brand Activism, this book explores how local, community-based efforts at renewal can become transformative across society. Joining forces with Philip Kotler are Christian Sarkar and Enrico Foglia. Together they are work on regeneration strategies for government, organizations, and communities – via the Regeneration Marketing institute (a vehicle to promote the paradigm shift we so require now).
Don’t despair. Mars can wait. We can still save this beautiful planet – the only world we’ve got.